Wednesday 25 October 2017

News Production Unit - Evaluation

Over the course of this project, I have learnt so much and have built up a lot of knowledge from what I previously knew in many different ways. Throughout the entire unit, I have gained skills in many areas from technical to productivity that has been enhanced through the process.

Researching was my first point of call. Learning how news was actually constructed through lectures, the studio testing workshop and my own research allowed me to have a strong foundation for the base of the project. I was able to look at a variety of different news and the multiple ways it can be done, from hard news to the more light-hearted Youtube style News. I felt I would be able to bring a lot more to the project if we picked a Youtube styled one as when researching Hard News I found this a lot more difficult to engage with. A negative I feel I could have done better was to research in more depth allowing me to expand my knowledge even further.

I was the main producer for this project and I found this very a great learning curve in many different ways. I was very happy with the way I managed to organise myself. I was making sure the risk assessments and all paperwork were signed off way ahead of time. All the schedules were complete at least48 hours before a shoot so all crew and cast knew what was happening, where and when all ahead of time so when it came to shooting it was very clear. I was also very happy with how I handled myself when organising the events that the group wanted to go to. I was professional and confident when speaking on the phone and contacting through email to press agencies that resulted in us getting press access and interviews for our film. I feel I could have been a bit better when It came to organising the Diwali event as It was very last minute and the communication lacked more than the Shocktoberfest event. Another thing that could have been better was trying to get the interview for Shocktoberfest. I felt it went well and we got there in the end but the interview kept being postponed which led to myself getting stressed.

When it came to production I had 2 roles to focus on. I was the location presenter but I was also overseeing the direction as well. This I found brought down the presenting side a bit as I was not able to focus fully on the role. Although It turned out ok, It took several takes to get a final result which ended up getting harder as I was getting more frustrated with myself. On the directing side of things, I felt I handled this very well envisioning what type of shots we would need and persisting until we got the right footage. we also brought an LED light with us which helped us illuminate the me when doing my pieces to camera and worked well when reviewing the footage. I also ensured we got plenty of cut-aways as I wanted to make sure when it came to editing their was more choice than not enough.

When it came to post production my main role was editor. I found this was my strongest skill that I brought to the project as I was able to edit efficiently and transform all the footage into a workable news item that had a good pace and looked professional. One downside to it was the visable noise on the greenscreen background. I tried hard getting the team on board to try and minimise the noise but unfortunatly it was proving to difficult and very time consuming to get rid of. This is the thing I am most annoyed at as I am a perfectionist and when I see something is wrong I instantly want to correct it and so I became frustrated when I couldn't fix the problem.

Overall I am very pleased with how the project went. I feel I organised the team well and contributed greatly towards a great end goal that I am very proud of. I learnt a lot from the project Including using a green screen and an auto-cue as well as over coming difficulties like when taking on multiple roles and dealing with schedule changes. I learnt that in order for a project to pull off well, a lot of preparation and organisation is key to the whole process right through to the final product and this is something I will remember. I really enjoyed this unit more than any other unit and I hope to continue my energy throughout other projects.


No comments:

Post a Comment