Wednesday 25 October 2017

News Production Unit - Editing

Once Drey had finished all the graphic work I was able to start editing all the footage together. I started off with planning a structure of how we wanted our film to show.


When we all agreed that this was the order we wanted it to be in I began with the Diwali package. I started with a montage so we can establish the event before cutting to my piece to camera. I did several takes of this clip so it was nice to be able to choose the best one to go in the film.


 I followed this with some GV's whilst I added a voice over that we recorded. In order for this to flow well I made sure that what I was talking about in the voice over matched up with what was being shown on screen. This then flowed nicely into my second of four pieces to camera. It was getting dark so we used an LED which worked well when it came to editing as I was able to refrain from color correction and lightening which I would have done. 



The edit continues to follow a nice and simple structure of Voice over leading in to piece to camera before rounding it off at the end. Over all I felt the package runs very smoothly and fits a nice pace explaining a clear narrative that explains the event well. 

I next moved onto editing the Studio footage which proved a bit more tricky. After the graphics were added to the background of the green screen I was able to piece together where all the segments worked. I felt that a multi-cam aspect would be a great way to edit this together to stop it becoming boring so I made sure we filmed a variety of shots on the shoot day. When it came to editing it allowed me to split the clips up but make it feel like it was all being filmed at the same time by creating seamless transitions. 




Because they reappear on a regular basis it was nice to keep a short and snappy pace that felt very studio like when watching it through. When the studio items went into a different item I was able to add an effect on the sound called exponential fade which allowed the sound to fade nicely rather then cut off suddenly. 

Shocktober was the last thing that I edited together as it was the last thing we were able to film. It was also the most complicated in terms of structure as it appeared in different parts of the timeline. I referred to my structure chart so I knew where the different pieces were going and added them in accordingly. I made sure the live elements had the title LIVE at the top so you could differentiate as we also had a mini package for the event as well. I also created a split screen element to make it flow nicely from studio to the live as mentioned in the rough cut. I also cut down the live interview which was also mentioned in the rough cut viewing and this flows much better than it did before stopping the lag compared to the rest of the project.



We had some sound issues with some of the pieces to camera but I was able to balance them out by using the audio mixer to make sure the volume was in line with the rest of the film. When it came to scoring the edit I wanted to make sure each Item fitted perfectly with what the audience would be looking at. I added Indian style music so it mixed well with the event, with shocktober, I added spooky music and with the studio a light hearted piece. This all fits really well with the project. 

Overall I feel I have edited a strong piece together that flows well and keeps its narrative communicating a professional edit of work. 







No comments:

Post a Comment