Thursday 26 October 2017

Fiction Adaptation Unit - The Haiku Challenge

After we had our briefing we looked more in depth about what a Haiku is as this would be similar to the type of literary text that I will be adapting from which is a sonnet. A Haiku is a 17 syllables and works as a format in Japanese as 5 on the first line, 7 on the second line and 5 on the last line. An example can be given below:


An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

Autumn moonlight—
a worm digs silently
into the chestnut.

In the twilight rain
these brilliant-hued hibiscus -
A lovely sunset.

We were set a challenge to adapt a Haiku from a list using stock footage and cut together our interpretation of how the chosen Haiku interprets to us. I decided to use this one below: 

Netsuke Sōseki (1275 - 1351)
Over the wintry forest,
Winds howl in rage,
With no leaves to blow.


This is the video I came up with:



I decided to use wintry images like the snow falling in the forest and the mountains in order to set up where I felt the Haiku was set. I then felt this was coming from a persons perspective who was alone so I found footage of a boy who was walking on his own through the setting. This set the tone as well as the sad music to show it was quite a melancholy piece. 





No comments:

Post a Comment