Thursday 26 April 2018

Transitions Unit - RESEARCH Track And Dolly

Since I want to create fluid motion, I did some research into using a track and dolly. After looking at several videos, this one really stood out for me.


The video explains the difference between using zoom shots and dolly shots. It starts of by stating that the idea of a dolly shot is to move the camera smoothly through a scene. The first move is a push or pull where the camera is the eyes of the audience looking at a subject and walking towards or away from it. The second is a tracking shot where you are following the subject from the side but also in front or behind them to move the audience through the space. This i found particular interesting and It goes on to state that the these shots make the audience feel like they're there and forcing them into danger with the character. I would love to emulate something like this as I feel it would be really effective with the scene we are doing. With zooms its more about magnification and is not physically moving you through the space but more focusing on certain aspects of a scene.

From this I have learnt that its not just about making the film look nice, but also to take the audience on a journey and forcing them to feel how I want them to feel. If a moment is tense or has a searching feel to it, the dolly would be great to get the audience to feel they are exploring round every corner with the character.

You can also see the differences on this shot below:


Personally I feel this for the production we are doing, the dolly would work much better than a zoom. The zoom, if not used right, can make a production look cheap and with the shots I have in mind and what I am trying to convey, the dolly works a lot better for a cleaner and more suspenseful approach. 



No comments:

Post a Comment