Tuesday 24 April 2018

Transitions Unit - The Change Of Our Final Idea

After a lot of deliberation I decided to sit down with the group and we all discussed the concerns we were having about the project. We all agreed that we were very restricted with time for the project that we have planned to do. The budget was very tight and we were considering hiring 4 - 6 actors to take part which would be very expensive in travel fees and food. The Permissions were becoming very difficult in the time we had as we were not having people reply to us. We all feel that having more time and money to pour into the project would allow the production to continue but unfortunately this  is not the case as when planning it would take 4 days to film all the scenes we needed. We were also worried that the project would look rushed and we wouldn't be able to pull together to create the standard of work we would all be happy with.

I also felt as a director I was not putting my own stamp on the video enough with the style I want to achieve. The video is already very smooth, cinematic and has all the shots I would like to experiment with. After we all discussed and weighed up the options, I decided that we would have to disregard this idea for the unit and move onto something much simpler that we would be able to create a high quality piece of work and that I could really change and put my own inspirations into.

We were looking around for a new idea and I came across a series on Netflix called 'Black Mirror'. This I felt would be very interesting as it was completely different to what we had looked at before. I found and episode called 'White Bear' (Season 2 Episode 2) that I felt was exciting and gripping all the way through. More importantly, I was watching the opening sequence and really felt I could create my own stamp as a director on this scene. The original scene is very hand held, rough, shaky and bleak.







When watching the scene I felt I could make this really different and my own take on it. I could take the mystery of whats happening to this lower class female and turn her into someone who is more middle/ upper class and possibly from a more wealthier background. With a lot of perception that money brings happiness to an extent and an easier life, and that peoples lives from this class have a lot less problems in regards to the particular crime the episode deals with, it could shatter that illusion. Also I was feeling that I could put my cinematic/ American inspirations into this piece creating smooth tracking shots and possibly drone shots to reflect the background of what we are shooting and to add depth.

I put forward the idea to the group and everyone was on board, the scenes were basic but with my added vision onto the piece we could really elevate this onto a different level. I feel we have made the right choice and will move forward with more of the pre production stage to make it all work.


No comments:

Post a Comment