Sunday 21 October 2018

Pre Production Unit - Writer/ Producer/ Director Research: Wes Anderson

I wanted to look at someone who is multi skilled and is doing the same roles as I am. I decided to look into Wes Anderson as he is someone of this ability in the professional industry and also has a unique and different look to his films.


Wes Anderson was born in Texas, America in 1969 and is best known for being a producer, director, screen writer and actor. As a child, Anderson made silent films on his dads super 8 camera and from there he had a love for making films. Although he has been a director and producer on many of his films, his initial aspiration was to be a writer. He graduated from The University Of Texas and from here began his film career.

The first film that Anderson made was called 'Bottle Rocket' which is based on a short film he had made previously. He wrote the screenplay for this film and also directed it. The film did not do very well at the box office although it remains at 85% on Rotten Tomatos and is critcally aclaimed. The next film that Anderson did was called 'Rushmore'. This film is considered today as one of Andersons best works and was a box office hit. It was originally a limited release at a few cinemas but due to its success the film was given a wide release where it made $2.8 million in its first weekend. The film was widely praised by critics and scores 89% on Rotten Tomatos. One of Wes Andersons more recent films that he Directed, Produced and Wrote was called 'The grand Budapest Hotel'. This film was praised with a lot of critical success winning Goldern Globes and Academy Awards.







I was looking at interviews that Wes has done and I came across one that was really interesting. It involves him talking about his work and his inspirations. You can view the video below:


In the video the interviewer asks him about his inspirations and to sum up his body of work. What I find interesting is that Anderson explains a lot of his work is inspired by his background, where he grew up and as a child the things he used to dream about. As a writer now, he draws back on the imagination he used to have and develop it into films. This is something I feel I can relate to and use for my own project. I feel that when im writting I want it to have some sort of connection for a message that im trying to get across. Yes it may be very exadurated and something I have never seen anyone do or experience but Wes is saying that it should stem from something at the begining that you can relate to and then build upon it. He next goes on to talk about the writing process of 'The Moonrise kingdom' and he said he tried to write it for about a year and was really struggling and failing with it. He seeked help from a friend who helped him with ideas and helped him develop it. This has taught me that I may come to struggles when I write my own script but its ok to get feedback to help it grow and develop. He goes on to explain that he does the main bulk of the writing but his friends and people hes working with will inspire him to add things in and go in different directions.

After talking about his inpirations he then talks about structure. He explains that he doesnt feel like any of his movies have an actual plot as such. He just thinks visually and continues to develop the story in a creative way. His stories done particularly go from A to B to C, they actually are all over the place. This really struck a cord with me as it sounds similar to my way of thinking. I think my film will have a plot line running through it but it wont particularly be structured like a typical film. It will be inspired creatively and visually with an underlying plot running through it. He goes on to explain that even if you have a plot, it still needs to build up to something dramatic that happens and I feel I can take a lot from this. I dont want just a montage of moving images, I really want to create something that will have a build up and a sense of drama to it.

He finally talks about working with actors as a producer and a director. Once he has the script he then reads it and pictures someone in mind. He recommends looking at actors body of work and how thats going to work for your character. He also says that its important to have a good relationship with actors as he quite often will want to work with them in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment