Friday 26 October 2018

Pre Production Unit - Story Structuring

Although I have broken down the poem and the visuals that run alongside it, I still felt I wanted to know my character and her journey. I sat down and decided to first do a mind map getting more ideas of where Sophie has been in her life. Although I had a good idea from the visual breakdown I still wanted to get it clearer in my mind and make sure I consider all the other possible routes she could go down. I looked online at how to break down a character and one article in particular suggested that mind maps were the best way to do this. You can see an example below:


This showed me very clearly what I needed to do having the character in the middle and then breaking off to all the traits and important parts of their personalities. You can see my own mind map that I produced below:



Although a little faded as I did it in pencil, I made several categories such as a house she lives in, family background, traits and clothing. From there I could branch off in more detail. This really helped me with the next stage of structuring the story.

After producing a mind map and looking at my previous visual break down, I then went on to produce a flow chart style diagram. This allowed me to break each part of her life down and get a real sense of her character. You can see this below:





 I started with the film title at the top and then went with my head to see where the characters journey would go. I wondered if having it all at a young age and then  it all being taken away from you would give more of a purpose to why the character would be more off the rails when she suddenly got it all back again. I decided that she would come from a broken family who didnt really pay her a lot of attention and she went off the rails craving attention. After years of substance abuse her family eventually threw her out on the streets as a result of going from everything to nothing. When the family die in a plane accident,  she then later inherites the money falling back on her feet from her families fortune. I feel although I may not choose to include all elements of this, I know the character a lot better and this will really help me with the creative writing process.





No comments:

Post a Comment