Saturday 27 October 2018

Pre Production Unit - No Country For Old Men Script

As my script is very visual with not a lot of dialogue I wanted to see how other scripts did this as most of the scripts I have seen contain a lot of dialogue. I decided to look into the script for a film called 'No Country For Old Men'. This film has a long and visual opening sequence lasting 2 minutes with no dialogue what so ever apart from voice over. I felt it would interesting to see how this was written in a script form by comparing the scenes with the script. Below is the opening sequence of the final film:


I watched this first and then compared it to the final script to see how it matched up and how they had done it. You can view the pages of the script that match the visuals below:




The layout is the same as a normal drama script. It has the scene descriptors at the top which include whether it's internal or external, where the scene is set and what time of day it is. It also has shot descriptions like Fade In as well as the description of the scene, the characters name in the middle and voiceover content underneath. I realise that when it comes to doing my own script, although it is mainly voice over with not a lot of dialogue, its still set out the same way. I have noticed that as a scene changes the voice-over stops and its then described what we are seeing next. This is something that I will make sure to do in my script. As soon as something visual is happening it's really important that myself as a writer is stopping to explain it so that the person reading it can understand what's happening visually. 

When looking at the two side by side they both are almost identical just one is describing it with words and the other is showing it visually on screen. Since it all stems from the script and that comes first I need to make sure that I am writing everything in that I am seeing as I go along as this will help me to translate it exactly when making the production. This has shown me that no matter how little dialogue there is in a film, it's still really important to have a script to work off as its guiding you through the whole process. In some previous productions, I felt a script wasn't necessary as there was little to no dialogue and so a shot list would be able to compensate for both but after researching this I have realised that its actually a really important thing to have. After looking at this I feel it's allowed me to be on the right lines when I come to writing my drama script. 



No comments:

Post a Comment