Tuesday 20 November 2018

Pre Production Unit - Shot List

In previous projects I have always done as shot list. I find them really helpful when on shoot to make sure I am constantly following a guided list of what shot im doing, what framing it needs to be and whats happening in the scene. I wanted to take this one step further to try and make a shotlist that was as professional and as useful as it can be. I found a great article on a website called TechSmith called "How to write a shot list that will transform your video". On this, it explains all the in's and out's of what actually needs to be involved. It starts of by explaining that a shot list maps out exactly what will occur and what will be used in a particular shot, or scene of the film. It says that shot lists are a vital part of the pre production process and is really helpful for the director when in production.





 I decided to look into some research of previous film productions as I wanted a shot list of this standard. After looking through different ones I felt the best one that stood out for me was a shot list that Christopher Nolan had made for his feature film Memento. You can see this below:




I felt this was really clear and made complete sense to why he had done it in this way. I decided to have a go at creating my own for the shoot that I will be directing. You can see this below: 





I started with my shot numbers down the side followed by whether the scene was interior or exterior. I then put the shot type whether that was mid shot (MS), wide shot (WS), extreme close up (ECU) etc to tell me about the framing I needed. I then added a column that showed what level the shot would be like Eye Level (EL) or High angle (HA) which was then followed by what type of equipment we would need for the shot and the direction of movement. In the final colomn I talked anout the scene that the shot was from and again reilliterated what happens with the camera. I am really pleased with my production of this shot list as I feel its professional and will really help me with the shoot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment