Friday 2 November 2018

Pre Production Unit - The Platform

As this film will be an experiemental film, I wanted to make sure that when its made it will be showcased towrds the right kind of audience. I struggled where to begin with this at first as its not like a conventional film that could be shown on netflix. Its also not an episode of a tv series to be aimed at a TV channel. I decided to do some reseach on where experimental films would go when they have been made.

First of all I discovered that a lot of short experimental films end up on the website YouTube. I came across one particular video that was more the sort of vibe I was thinking our film would have called INK which you can watch below:


Although our film will have a bit more narrative to it and the visuals will be different, I feel it holds the tone thats quite similar and experiments with the editing style that our film will emulate. I noticed that it had won awards at 2 different festivals and this got me thinking in terms of platform. Since our film will be different to conventional films and have an experiemental theme to it, I decided to look into film festivals that show them sorts of films. After looking through research I found several that I feel the film could fit into. These include, Video Art and Experimental Film Festival and Capital City Film Festival. When looking into them, I felt they were great festivals but still didnt really fit our kind of film as much as I felt others may be able to. They were also in America and being a British film, I feel it would work better on home ground.


I next decided to look into British film festivals and I came across one called the BFI London Film Festival. This is a large festival that screens a wide range of films from documentaries, feature length films and also short films. When I looked further into the short film section there were several catergories that you could submit your film to. One of these catergories was called Experimenta. It explains that the films in this section are by artists who transform our experience of seeing moving images and I feel our film does this as its not your conventional film in the way I feel it will end up. I explored further into the catergory and downloaded a document called regulations and submissions information. I thought this would be really useful to read as it would allow me to see if our film would be suitable for it. The form explained that films need to be 40minutes or less and submitted by June each year to be reviewed by a board who select the films displayed. It says the films can be of any genre and must be produced within the last 18 months. No premier or screenings should be held at any other festival before the event and it must be made in the UK. Since our film will hit all of these rules and regulations I feel our film will fit perfectly in this festival. Since the festival is very versitile and houses many different places for a range of films, I think the audience will be perfect to watch our film and I believe this is where we will put our film.






No comments:

Post a Comment