Thursday 2 November 2017

Fiction Adaptation Unit - Researching Style and Tone

When researching this project I came across a video that I would love to aim towards. This video is from a short film by the artist Lana Del Rey called Tropico which is partly set in a strip club. You can view the section of it bellow:



 Its shot very slow with a dark tone to it in a very cinematic way. I love the effect this gives to the audience making them feel enticed into whats happening. Its also very tense but tasteful at the same time which is something I want to incorporate into my project. The music is almost non existent in the way of melodies and chord progression but has loud rumblings and static soundscapes to build tension and to create the mood of the video. I feel this is a great look and I would love to use this in the strip club scenes. There is also voice over which creates a great pace to what the film is about. I was thinking about putting voice over on top of my film in regards to reading out the sonnet whilst the imagery is going on. This I feel would be effective and would tell the story as if its going on in the protagonists head without revealing too much of what its about.

In terms of editing it is cut very slowly together put keeps a good pace in and out of two locations. I want to do this with inside shots of the strip club as well as walking along the streets so the audience doesn't get bored of it being all very similar. There is also good use of strobe lighting which I will look to incorporate as well as I feel it gives a good dramatic effect.

With colors for my own shoot I wanted to use lots of neutrals like blacks, whites, grey's and beiges for costume etc and contrast it with the scenery of bright and colorful like neon signs and lights. I feel this could work really well showing the class of the character but also reflecting neon and wildness of the setting she is in. It would also look a bit out of place as the two do not match together. I felt with the neon signs I could incorporate something like the video below:


I feel it builds a good atmosphere as well as highlighting good imagery. I like the way its edited with some shots overlapping each other as this gives a really nice effect and has a very experimental feel to it. The tone is very dark and moody which is the style that I'm going for so for my own shoot i would like to film the signs in Soho and do something very similar to this. 

I found a different video that I found very inspiring that you can view below: 



I love the soundscape that it uses creating tension and atmosphere as I think it really adds to the mystery of what we are looking at as a viewer. The clips cut to the music creating a rhythmic montage which works really well and both the sound and visual work well together. I also love the slow motion in this video. I think it builds the pace really well and creates a more dramatic feel to what we are watching which would look great for my main character. I wouldn't have my actor standing in front of a green screen, instead I would have her walking down the streets of soho with the neon signs effect combined. I also love the way the model holds herself and her expression from 0.35secs as i sense power and confidence which is the look I want my actress to give.









No comments:

Post a Comment