Tuesday 24 January 2017

Directions Unit - TV Drama Research - Run

I decided to watch the series Run to help with research for my production. It's a one off British TV drama with 4 episodes focusing on one main character in each one. The series looks at how one persons actions in their life can affect another although they seem far disconnected to each other.

I particularly wanted to focus on this TV show due to its style and the way it has been filmed. The majority of it is done hand held which gives a really nice edge and gritty feel to it. It makes the program feel more real and as if you was standing there witnessing what was happening in front of you. This is something that I am highly considering using for parts of the film where I need to fit the same effect. I feel I can really tone it down and make it very serious by approaching the filming hand held.


The series uses a lot of fluorescent and white lighting which also adds to the realism. It creates the effect that they are under real street lamps and reflects the poor area where the series is set. Although it fits perfectly for this drama, I am setting mine in a more wealthier place and in a family home so I will use less white lights and more warmer lights like tungstens. The use of shadows are casted a lot in the program and this has got me thinking about if I want to use that in mine. With the back or profile of them lit up and the other side completely dark it creates a really dramatic statement of the person and I feel this could be something I could do in my production to make the characters stand out and look bold. 


Throughout the whole series there is very little in terms of non- diegetic audio. It almost gives it a documentary feel and this is not something I am trying to achieve. The one thing about this part I will take from it is the fact that when they speak with no audio it is very clear and as a viewer you listen intently to what they are saying and this could work well for when the argument takes place.


Overall this is a really interesting drama with some exciting ways I have taken from it that I feel will benefit my production

No comments:

Post a Comment