Tuesday 16 May 2017

Documentary Unit - Editing The Final Cut

As another key skill that I'm bring to the project, the group have decided that I will the head editor for the film. I enjoy editing and feel I have a good ability with the way I do it so I was very happy to take this role.

I had a vision in mind of what I wanted the end result to look like and started to edit as I went along. Once we had filmed Thorpe Park we knew this was going to be our first item after introducing myself. I wanted this to be upbeat and exciting so I added exciting music and explained where I was with the establishing shot. I then added a montage to show the park and the rides to further elaborate the attractions and what the theme park had to offer. The montage is fast paced and cut one after the other to build excitement as well as flow with the music. I made sure that when I was talking I lowered the music so you could hear what I was saying and the raised it again to give full effect for the montage. Once I had done this I added the constant power and exponential fade effects to make it flow and sound seamless. I did this all the way throughout Thorpe Park and the rest of the project.



With Jackie's interview, We all felt that we needed to split it in half and have her as a reoccurring character. I introduced her and left in the first question that she answered before adding a voice over to link it into the next item. Once the next item was finished I added another voice over so that Jackie could be linked back and appear again. I also used the dip to black transition on the video to show time had passed so I wouldn't just to different places. I decided to leave Jackie's interview silent with just her and me talking so it would have impact of what was being said but also the rest of the project will be heavily scored.

With the London Tombs, I chose a more eerie score to alliterate that this was a scary attraction and was meant to tell the audience how to feel in regards to what the place was all about. I added many voice overs and made sure they synced well with the music and what was being shown on screen. For example when I mention I'm in London on the voiceover, GV's of London Landmarks appear on screen.



Moving on to the last edit, the sky dive, this was the one I wanted to get right. I have drip fed all the way through to this point. I wanted to show that I was going there, I arrive, I do it and I give my reaction. When going there the music re-enforces my emotions and it allows the audience to connect with how I'm feeling. I then get out of the car, explain that I have arrived and then the build up for the skydive begins. The music changes to intense as the clips are now paced faster together. The clips gather speed until I drop out of the aeroplane where It all goes deathly silent and a loud bass sound effect re appears when I fall. This creates a reaction of shock and makes what we are seeing exciting. The music then changes into a euphoric and emotional piece as Im flying through the sky. I wanted to put this in as it shows the audience the emotion of how I was feeling at the time.




I also added graphics that Andreya produced including Astons over the people for their names, an intro title and end credits. It made the piece look a lot more professional. Overall I feel the pace of the film is very good and I have achieved a good result.



No comments:

Post a Comment