Wednesday 28 September 2016

Storytelling Unit - Camera Workshop

Today I learnt some basic requirements to using a professional video camera. Over the course of the workshop I gathered many different tips and tricks that will help me develop further, using some of the techniques in my short film.

One in particular was knowing how to switch focus between two different characters. turning the focus wheel on the front of the camera and looking at the metre bar on the LCD screen I was able to have on person clear and the other blurred out. As the two people were at different lengths I then twisted the wheel and switched the focus making the other person clear with the previous clear person now blurred. This made me think how I wanted to use this in my short film in a conversational part. A character would be talking to the other and then when the other character starts to speak the focus would switch and highlight them. I was also able to take it one step further and had a person walk from a distance towards the camera. Keeping the person in the frame, the zoom would keep them positioned as the same mid shot whilst I turned the focus wheel to keep them from blurring.



White Balance was something I have never learned but after this workshop I realised how Important it was and is going to consist in everything I shoot on film. A straight forward scale was shown which gave a rough guide to what the number should be depending on what light as shown in the image below

I then was taught how to get the camera to auto detect the white balance and tested this out several times using a white piece of paper in front of the camera and then push the white balance button at the bottom of the camera. This changed the subject from a greenish hue to a warm natural colour that looked a lot better.

I also used a sound boom for the first time learning how to attach it all together and then connect it to the camera using an external output. Once connected I was able to hear sound in a much clearer way when aimed at what I wanted to hear. This will be used on locations for my shoots as I am able to mask out background noice and create a more professional sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment