Tuesday 27 September 2016

Story Telling Unit - Screenplay development


At the library I looked at an Ebook called The Short Screenplay: your short film from concept to production by Dan Gurskis. In this book it helped me to understand simple but effective tips on creating a short film screenplay.


Keeping the screenplay focused
This means to keep the story focused on a specific moment of the protagonists life rather than stretching it out into a life story. From this I realise I need to keep the story simple and direct to what I am trying to tell. If i make it complex and add lots of sub plots it can lose an audience's focus and moves the attention away from the story I am really trying to tell.


Limiting the time frame of the action
This involves creating a suitable time frame for my story to take place. Since I am writing a conventional short film (7 - 12 minutes long), I need to create a shorter time length that my story happens over for example over several hours or days rather than weeks and months. This will help the story flow and be consistent without it being to complicated.


Limiting the Number of Characters
The audience connects with a film through the characters it contains so if I'm writing a conventional short film it should contain very few as a larger cast would make it harder for the viewers to connect to them and lose the depth of the protagonist.


Below are some notes I wrote up that I found very useful:








No comments:

Post a Comment