Wednesday 10 April 2019

Major Project Production Unit - Assisting The Edit 3

Now that we have shot all of our scenes we could both start to see the film coming together as a whole. Now that I have chosen new music for the edit I can really visualise the film as one piece. Changing the music was a really good decision as I feel it has really taken the project up a level sounding professional and linking all the scenes together really well.

Over the past couple of weeks, Myself and Andreya watched the film several times and made tweaks and adjustments to try and tighten the edit as much as possible. We have also worked on a new scene that we re-shot at The Who'd A Thought It. This scene was the part at the end of the film that really resolved everything. I felt that this scene had to be really strong or the whole point of the story would not work. Drey laid out all the clips from the scene on the timeline and cut them together to get a rough idea of how the scene looked against the whole film. I was so relieved when I saw it to see that It did work really well although it would need a lot of work to get it working as best as it could. I worked with Andreya on getting the flow right especially from previous scenes as this scene was so different. Its still not quite there yet but hopefully the feedback with Simon and Beth can help us to make sure it gets to the point it needs to be at. 

When looking at all the previous scenes, I would watch the whole thing through and then suggest to Drey how we can tighten everything up a little bit more. I helped with trimming a few scenes down as well as re cutting a bit at the end of the garden scene to flow more with the music and fit better. I also made a few shot changes in Picadilly to help with some continuity issues like seeing her walking one way in one shot followed by her walking in the opposite direction in another which really looked strange. I then helped suggest to Drey about tightening the voiceover. It was coming in where it need to be but I felt it a few of them needed to hit at different points. Moving these around a little bit helped to really impact what she was saying against the visuals that were on screen. 

I watched the whole thing through again and I realised there was one part of the film that really did not work. This is the scene where Fiona is hiding in the wardrobe and Karen is laying on the floor dead. I feel this scene was taking a way from the film. It was almost like it was not needed and did not even need to be there. It was adding complications that I feel people would be confused by and was the weakest point in the film. I asked Drey to cut the scene completely and we then re watched to see the difference. The film worked much better with out the scene being in there. It allowed the film to flow well and get rid of any unnecessary complications that had no real effect on the overall story. Im really pleased I decided to cut this and feel it really has benefited the film as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment