Friday 8 March 2019

Major Project Production Unit - Research And Assisting The Edit 1

When it comes to the editing, it is Andreyas role to make sure the edit of the final film is done to the best it can possibly be but I was a little unsure what my role would be in this part of production. I questioned whether I left her to it and it was her part to do or whether I was heavily involved in this. I decided to research this to gain knowledge so I could carry on directing to the best of my ability throughout the entire production.

I first of all came across a website called media match, a US online magazine, which gave a brief outline on what a directors purpose is from begining to end. The article explains that in pre production a director makes crusial desicions in chosing cast, crew and locations to make sure the film will work mechanically and asthetically. I feel I have acheived this to a good level for the film making sure everything came together. It then goes on to talk about post production which was the section I was most interested to read. The article explains that in post production, a director works very closely with the editor right through until a final edit is reached. This has highlighted to me that its very important that I sit with Andreya throughout the editing process to ensure the vision is being achieved and it is edited the way I intend it to look.


I decided to have a look at another website as I wanted some more detail into the role. I came across one called film reference which explained a lot more about my responsibillities in post production. The article says "Once actual filming has finished, the director must preside over the completion of the work during post production. Before 1940, for example, a hollywood director often had literally no imput in the cutting of a film. By contrast, the contemporary digital manipulation of images has increased to such a degree that the directors close involvement in post production stages is often a necessity. The editor and director will work through the films pace, trim moments of unwanted excess and ensure that the montage generally serves to reinforce the works intent". This says a lot to me about what I need to do as I director in the editing process. I realise I am very much involved to ensure that creatively the project is going the way I want it to look in many areas.




It also explains about how I director works with music. It explains that a director is usually very heavily involved with choosing a films score. They often are responsible for how sequences are intended to make an audience feel and music is a large part of this. The article says "In working with a composer, he might intimate how the score reinforces the affective intent of key sequences or even structures the order in the montage". This is something that I feel will be really important as I feel music is such a big aspect in making our film work. I have already looked through some royalty free tracks that I feel would be a great addition to the film so this will help when it comes to editing. Now I know all of this I will ensure to apply it to the post production stages. 

Since we have finshed filming some of the scenes, myself and Andreya have decided to start the editing process with what we have got so far so that when it came to shooting more scenes, we can build upon what we already have ensuring we have the maximum amount of time to produce a really good edit. Andreya started by putting all the footage into folders and naming the clips so that it was easier to see what was what when in premiere. Once this was done I was able to sit down with her as we went through pulling clips onto the timeline together and roughly put them into place to see how they would fit. I explained to Andreya that I wanted it to open with the establishing shots of the house and some rumbling sound effects followed by a few shots of Sophie from behind not reavealing the front of her. Drey would do a rough cut of the scene and then I would view it and swap some things around to try and get the pace and flow of things how I felt was more what I had imagined. 



Once we had roughly done the opening scene we then moved onto the picadilly scene. This scene was a joy to do. I wanted this to be striking and bold but also dream like. We had great coverage of shots giving us a lot to choose from. I explained that when I was on shoot, I purposely did a shot that was intended to open the scene. It starts close to her dress and then the camera moves backwards as she moves forwards revealing the outfit and the location she is surrounded by. Andreya put the clip in as well as other clips and worked off of my script to know where the voice over was meant to be placed for this scene. After she constructed a rough placement of where the clips went, I reviewed it changing a couple of shots and shortening clips to make sure it was coming across how I wanted it to. I have found some pieces of music through previous research also so Drey put these onto the timeline and we worked together to cut it as fine as we could. I am really happy with the shots. The fluidity and movement as well as trying to look cinematic really works well and I am so pleased that it is coming across how I had it in my head. Working with Andreya closely on this edit worked really well as I could see the film coming together and gave supportive advise throughout. She was great at placing everything and cutting things together but I was also there to ensure my vision was coming across and the scenes flowed well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment