Monday 28 January 2019

Major Project Production Unit - Researching Lana Del Rey Ride Video

When writing the script, I wanted it to tell a narrative in a non traditional way. I felt it like it needed to be viewed as something that has a story, but also leaning on the side of a piece of video art. Being different to a normal film structure, I wanted to research deeper into something similar to get as much inspiration as I can before I go into shoot week. Although I have already got my script and planned shot lists, I still feel looking at something similar can still help me to discover different techniques that I havent thought about and can inspire scenes further in many aspects.

I was looking online and found it very difficult to find short films that have been done in this way. I tried to think of other things that my involve a short story of some sort. I then thought about how sometimes music videos have a story element before the song. Although I will be looking at a music video, I will very much be focused on the story element to it and stay clear of the song side. I want to make sure I am capturing techniques of how the story and narrative is being told to help me with my film rather than the song itself.

I decided to look into the video for Ride by Lana Del Rey as it starts similar to what I am trying to achieve. The video features a whole 3 minute opening sequence before the actual song comes into it. Please view the first 3minutes 25 seconds of the video below:


The video fades in with an establishing shot of hills and mountains setting the scene, I have allowed for this in my script and feel its important to show where the story is going to be based. It sets up the whole film. I like the way the video has no music at this short point just ambient sounds. We then hear the strings music fade in as we are introduced to the main character. She swings back and forth on a tyre swing and everything is very cinematic. The music really compliments the shot so I will make sure that this will be something to consider when choosing music for the edit. The shots are also very smooth and glide along with her which is how I picture our film being. 



After these first few shots, the voice over starts. Its starts of by her saying she is in the winter of her life. This very much contrasts to what we are seeing on screen with the beautiful sunny desert and she summer clothing. She is referencing a metaphor to how she is feeling as she goes on to say the men she met along the road where her only summer. I find this really interesting as we are hearing the voice inside her head and the shots half match what she is saying. I have decided to do something similar with my own project as this really stands out for me as a unique way of taking a viewer through a story. We go on a journey with the character but only listening to her inner thoughts, maybe the private, guarded thoughts that she doesnt want everyone to know. I feel that Sophie has a great connection with this. In the script, we are listening to Sophies thoughts and feelings, things she does not want to share out loud and feels to deep to share. 

All the shots that follow on are very cinematic. The majority of them are in slow motion and create a fluid movememnt. This reinforces to me that Sophie should be shot in slow motion for the most part of the film. Since the story of this video is very dream like and reflects and internal monologue, I want to create a very similar effect marrying slow motion and fluid movement into dream like sequences to help capture the aspirations and lifestyle that Sophie wants to have. Adding voiceover to unravel her thoughts and feelings I feel is a really interesting way that can take the viewer on a journey with her and still drive a narrative but through a different approach. 


The opening sequence visits different scenes starting with the desert, the open road, the petrol station, performing stage and the gaming arcade. It seems to visit each location based on what she is speaking about but the scenes also intergrate with eachother flashing back to the locations we have already seen. I find this works really well and will consider suggesting this when it comes to drey editing the film. When viewing the shots as a whole, they really all work together and feel like one piece. The voice over compliments whats on screen, all the shots have a cinematic feel and a glossy look and the music creates the emotion of whats being said. I feel like this is a perfect representation of how I want Sophie to be told. The difference with this video is that the story is a little vague. I feel that my script is heavier on the narrative especially towards the end to bring it away from the music video genre. I want to bring this style and look into my film but keep in mind the narrative and plot that have to stand stronger. I also still feel its important for my story to show the oposite of whats being shown on screen to help the ending make sense and create mystery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment