Wednesday 14 February 2018

As Live Production Unit - RESEARCH Studio Director (John Smith)

I felt it was important to do a lot of research on studio directors and what they do. When looking online I came across a man named John Smith. His specialty job role is a Multi Camera Director for the 'BBC' and in the video I watched, he talks specifically about working on the game show 'The Weakest Link'. The video can be viewed below:



http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/production/article/art20130702112135647



In the short film he gives an overview of his job role and what it entails to be a multi camera director as well as real footage of him doing the job itself. He starts off by explaining that it is important to understand that the whole show is a team effort and the director has to liaise with all other departments such as the camera operators, sound and production support crew. This will be important when I'm directing to ensure I am working with all other departments to ensure we all pull together as one large team to carry the show through.



He then goes on to explain that the biggest skill you can have as a director is patience. This is to understand that if people go a little bit wrong its important not to be shouting and be angry at the person, but to be calm and correct the situation as it happens. Working well and having a good relationship with the team is key to the whole show. From this I will ensure to be calm and patient throughout the rehearsals and the live show to ensure we are all able to do the job well rather than under more pressure than there needs to be.

The next piece of information that he says to understand is spacial awareness. This is important in regards to knowing where the cameras are on the floor. Because I will be in the gallery and not out there myself, I will need to make sure I understand where each camera is and know their movements so that If I need to change the framing or ask a camera to crab right or left, I will know that its possible and how to get a better shot. I will create camera plans for the main show and be aware to go out onto the floor during rehearsals when I can to achieve better knowledge of my spacial awareness.

Throughout the whole video there are clips edited in of him carrying out his position in the gallery. There is a lot of lingo and terminology that he uses. The first thing I noticed was the word cue. He says this into the microphone after the P.A. has counted down. This is so that the presenter knows when to start their line. Another word he uses is stand-by followed by what he wants next. This is to prepare a department that we will need the person, information, graphic or music very soon and they should get ready to incorporate this into the broadcast.




This video was very insightful to see a professional directing a multi camera programme and seeing it from the gallery. I learnt a lot of useful skills that I will take forward into rehearsals and the show itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment